« CA Process does not like admins with local mailfiles | Main| Words of warning: Servers\Mail Users view in 8.5.1 Domino Directory has changed »

My experience sofar with Ubuntu Karmic 64 bit (Desktop & Server)

Tags: Lotus Domino Notes 8.5.1 VMWare Server 2.0.2 64 bit Linux Ubuntu Karmic
Sofar my ride with Karmic hasn't been all smooth.

I've upgraded my server from Ubuntu Server 8.04 (Hardy Heron) to 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) and recently to 9.10 Server (Karmic) on 64 bit and encountered a few issues, and not just with Domino 8.5.1 - and yes I know this is not an IBM supported configuration

After the upgrade my Domino server came up without a problem but I noticed an error message from the full text indexer about not being able to find libstdc++.so.5
This library was replaced by the upgrade by libstdc++.so.6 - so I ended up pulling a copy from a previous release and adding that to /usr/lib32

Other than that sofar I haven't found any problems with Domino.

Daniel Nashed's SpamGeek also just continues to do it's job

I also have 64 bit VMWare Server 2.0.2 running on this server and after the upgrade the vmware modules refused to build, fortunately I found a fix here:


I have a Windows 2003 Server VMWare guest that started life as a physical box that I converted to a VM sometime last year that never had any problems but ever since the upgrade (and subsequent patch) has a tendency to die under high I/O loads. VMWare kills it (Worker#18| Caught signal 6).

After that, it was time for my laptop ...

Last weekend I did a clean install of 64 bit Ubuntu 9.10 Desktop on my 'new' company laptop, a Lenovo Thinkpad Z61m with 3GB of memory (tons faster than the old Z60m I had before).

I used the instructions found here to get the Lotus Notes 8.5.1 Client up and running.
Note: libeel2-2 was not in any package according to apt-file so I got a copy from a previous release and installed it (32 and 64 bit versions)

At the initial start of the client after accepting the license agreement but before showing the default welcome page I got the following error:

org.eclipse.swg.broswer.Broswer: /usr/lib/libnspr4.so (/usr/lib/libnspr4.so wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

I haven't seen this one after setting the workspace as default homepage, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

The client is working fine but for a few little things:

- Can't tell the state of radio buttons & checkboxes inside the client interface (user preferences for example). Sometimes the state becomes visible while hovering the mouse pointer over them, sometimes it requires you to actually click them before the state becomes apparent.
- The replicator shows 'File does not exist' when trying to update the 'Local free time info' eventhough a local busytime.nsf does exist (and will be recreated if you delete it).

Since IBM in it's infinite wisdom still has not provided us with an admin & designer client for Linux I need access to a Windows machine whenver I need to perform tasks that require either the admin or designer client, so I also installed VMWare Server 2.0.2 (using the instructions above).

Unfortunately whenever I use VMWare Server's console browser plugin to use the VM's I run into keyboard issues like: keys getting stuck, unexpected results (down arrow acts as windows key inside a Windows VM) but also no longer functioning keyboard modifiers outside the VMware console (dead CAPS, shift, control, alt, windows & menu keys).
Kinda sounds like this.

Current workaround is connecting to the VM's using RDP (Terminal Server client).